• Wreckage

by  • November 19, 2016 • * Safe for Work *, Doubt • 6 Comments

We all stand at the helm of our own little ships. The cargo we start out with, the state of our ship and our prescribed port may well be dictated to us before we are born but WE stand at the helm.

If you don’t like the cargo, jettison it; if the ship is run down, make running repairs and if you don’t like the port, change course. It is your ship
    We may be swamped by storms, torn off course by strong winds and currents we cannot hope to fight but we stand at the helm.

Through it all, no matter what is going on we still stand at the helm and, though our little ship may be swamped, floundering and being pushed backwards, we chose which direction the ship points.

There are so many forces beyond our control, so much which would flounder us but this little freedom of choice is always afforded to us, even if the choice doesn’t change the outcome. So as your little ship goes down stand fast at the helm and turn to the harbor of your choosing.

I am being swamped. I have chosen a port I am not certain will accept me. The captain is drunk and a fool. I am going down. Send lifeboats. Look for a little ship steadfastly holding course with no knowledge of how to navigate these storms. How do I jettison a heart that is weighing me down.

The fool with the sad kind eyes

6 Responses to Wreckage

1. Indeed,
      November 19, 2016 at 12:57 pm

How does one go about that.

2. Me
      November 19, 2016 at 1:04 pm

The lifeboat has arrived, you just need to get in.

3. Heartshards
      November 19, 2016 at 3:49 pm

@author, I pray your harbor accepts you. I’m sure you are worth accepting. If you were the person I write to, I’d bake you cookies.

4. preservedbyalcohol
      November 19, 2016 at 11:15 pm

I love you.

5. Woman of no consequence
      November 21, 2016 at 8:59 am

I love this letter..

6. Daniel
      November 25, 2016 at 2:39 am

Thankyou.
      Each in your own way have sent a lifeboat and for that I can never repay you.
      The storm has passed. I am still afloat and bailing. My rudder is unbroken, my engine works and I see no reason to change course. The captain is still drunk and a fool but he may yet get us to our port.
      @ Indeed
      I lived as a numb robot for most of my life. I became human a couple of years ago and for the briefest of moments I sometimes wish I could go back but in truth now I think that possibility is my greatest fear. My heart weighs me down frequently but I am glad to have finally grown one.
      @Me
      Thankyou for sending help, often the greatest problem is taking that terrifying leap between vessels in the stormy seas.
      @ Heartshards
      Amongst those that know me, I have an almost legendary penchant for homemade baked goods. I would decimate your cookies and think you the greatest of women.
      @ preservedbyalcohol
      What is it about us broken people that requires chemical alteration to release the better parts of our heart? I love you too.
      @Woman of no consequence
      I have never met a truly inconsequential person before. I am sure I would find you fascinating.
      You are more significant than you believe and if you can’t believe it then know you were once important to one foolish man.