• If you love two people …

by  • April 22, 2014 • * Safe for Work *, Advice • 25 Comments

“If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn’t have fallen for the second”
    Quote by Johnny Depp

25 Responses to If you love two people …

1. agree
      April 22, 2014 at 10:00 am

Oh I agree with that statement. However I also learned from a past friend that sometimes they choose the second because they don’t want to be alone, have a girl get knocked up immediately threatening to take their kid away, and can’t survive without the woman’s money. Whether or not they truthfully love them is irrelevant. If they did though, you’d think they wouldn’t disrespect the second love by saying/doing any of it in the first place. Sorry for the tangent, but oh yes, in my case I agree. Exes are exes for a reason.

2. You know
      April 22, 2014 at 10:57 am

I really do believe this. He hit the nail right on the head with this one.
      When we are in love with or very much love somebody we don’t have eyes for anybody else. Everything and everybody fades into the background. They become insignificant.

3. Tracy
      April 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Very wise words, takes a lot of courage though x

4. So Johnny
      April 22, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I love this quote, but What do you do when you know the first will never let you go?
      ‘I might not be alone but you know that don’t mean I’m not lonely’ – Bon Jovi

5. Twin soul
      April 22, 2014 at 7:12 pm

This applies to every aspect of my life right now. I love this quote.

6. Darn Johnny
      April 22, 2014 at 7:17 pm

stole my line!

7. agree
      April 23, 2014 at 2:18 am

He has a point, but Johnny Depp as a role model…?

8. CS
      April 23, 2014 at 3:13 am

There’s a problem with that quote. I cheated on my gf – the love of my life. I’ve regrettef it everyday since. I lost her. She left me without a srcond look back. I couldn’t care less about the girl i screwed. Took me a long time to get rid pf her too.

9. @CS
      April 23, 2014 at 10:32 am

The quote is about love not cheating. Huge difference.

10. Ire
      April 23, 2014 at 11:10 am

It is a quote used by people trying to rationalize an an affair. We all know how that normally turns out for many? Don’t we. Now we are taking our love lessons from Hollywood, the wise ones. Best known for their real love and commitment to their partners. Right? I say BS.

11. ?
      April 23, 2014 at 11:39 am

@CS – ?
      @@CS – You think? When you realize that you love the second person how do you call it what you do with the first in that moment?

12. @you know
      April 23, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Aka the honeymoon period. Reality is in a healthy relationship everything and everybody does not fade in the background. In a monogamous relationship then of course cheating is a no no and if you do then that “love” is suspect. Couples have jobs, friends and other interests besides one another. (Unless you suffer from adhd and are in the hyperfocus stage). Finding others “insignificant” sounds disposable.
      Being googly eyed forever where you live in a love bubble where no one else exists isn’t real.

13. @CS
      April 23, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Sounds like the first one was smart and the second deaf. Seriously you sound like a douche. Stop acting like that and maybe you’ll find someone good again.

14. @Ire
      April 23, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I love your comment. Its like taking financial advice from a beggar. lol

15. You know
      April 24, 2014 at 3:43 am

I’m amazed at the answers here, now who is living in a bubble?
      Sometimes people marry the wrong person for the wrong reasons.
      Many times the reasons have nothing to do with love, unplanned pregnancies, the sense of having to do what’s right, sense of duty, gratefulness towards your partner, you name it. There are as many reasons as people on earth.
      The quote is not about affairs, I don’t believe it is.
      But I guess we judge others based on our own standards, which by the way tell a lot about us.

16. Not quite
      April 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Enlighten us, wise one. In what situation would a man have to decide between two women, in a modern society? ( If not for an affair). Many men today would not marry a woman out of sense of duty ( it sounds to me, like you had an affair and that is the rubbish he told you. Sadly, he lied to you.

17. @you know
      April 24, 2014 at 1:05 pm

It’s perspective. And not everything a person says equals how they live their life.

I saw the quote to mean loving two people at the same time. That can mean many things. It can mean affairs, an open relationship, or past and present love colliding, etc. The disconnect occurred when I was attempting to understand your view in regards to one love making you not see anything else but them. Because for me, my past is not insignificant, nor the person I love(d) in the past insignificant. That was just my opinion. That’s what’s great. Everyone has one. Like assholes.

18. @You Know
      April 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm

btw, I was truly not trying to come off in a rude way. I’m honestly trying to understand your view regarding both of your comments.

19. I believe
      April 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm

There is no being “In Love” with 2 people.
      You either just love one and are in love with the other.
      “Lust” should not be confused with “Love”.
      I’m sure everyone loves more than one for there are different levels of love.
      I don’t think anyone has ever been crazy and madly in love with 2 people at the same time.
      Maybe I just never experienced it to know it.
      1 is enough to drive one insane, I can’t imagine what 2 would do.
      Maybe send you to a padded room somewhere.

20. LDR
      April 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Hmm oh how I know the feeling of loving two people but only ever being with one, the second person is a no go for me,but I love them more than the first.

21. You know
      April 24, 2014 at 8:28 pm

@Not quite what a nasty piece of shit you are, it’s because of people like you that this world is such a dump, how did this quote turn into an accusation about having an affair? I didn’t even write this letter wow! I rest my case I thank my lucky stars I don’t know you in real life, you’re trash. I don’t associate with trash.

22. I don't know.
      April 27, 2014 at 12:55 am

I don’t know I mean what if your in a situation where your oldest friend confesses she loves you, and there’s a girl you’ve know for awhile that your crazy about. You never thought about seeing your friend as anything more but when she tells you she loves you, you being to realize that you might really love her. You think about those times in her room laughing, dreaming about love. You think about how she just knows you inside and out, she know everything about you, even the most embarrassing things but she still loves you. You think about the way she nose crinkles when she smiles, and about the way her eyes light up when you go bowling together. Then you realize you would be perfect together , that you and her together just make sense. But you have this other girl, this other brilliant and amazing girl who is everything you always dreamed your girlfriend would be. She’s adventurous, exotic, loves to travel, and hike. She’s sly and mysterious, always has something up her sleeve to surprise you. She notices the little quirks you have and cooks like a chef even though she’s studying to be a vet. You feel like you can do anything when your with her and you don’t give a damn when you make out with her in public. How exactly does one choose then? How came first? Your best friend because you’ve known her forever or the girl you met eight months ago because you both revealed your feeling for each other before your friend told you how she felt? I don’t think it’s a matter of who came first, it’s a matter of who is really the best for you and who you’re the best for.

I chose my best friend. Being her friend was incredible and made me one of the happiest, and felt like one of the most loved people ever but being with her and calling her my girlfriend is on a whole different level. I chose the girl I could live with and marry and now we’re engaged.

So, this quote does not apply for every situation. Sometimes it isn’t about who came second and who came first.

23. Elle
      April 27, 2014 at 11:47 am

Then if an answer is clear in a given situation… What is the conflict? I am sure in Depp’s case, he was talking about affair ( Rampant as we know, in that part of his world) That is the situation to which most of us are referring to.

24. Chris
      April 27, 2014 at 11:51 am

There are women you fuck and forget, and those that you actually care for deeply and marry. Which one are you?

25. @I don't know
      April 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Congrats! Regardless I think it’s great how you described both.