• Acceptance & Self-Preservation

by  • April 4, 2014 • * Safe for Work *, Thoughts • 8 Comments

I have always wanted to be the type of person who can just accept things simply at face value. No matter the underlying reason. The type of person with strict boundaries and impenetrable self-esteem.

The older I got, the more interesting characters I met. It’s crazy how lines get blurred when you are in a situation with someone who has what the outside world labels a “disability”.

My inner bullshit detector has always led with “if it looks and walks like a duck…”. I’ve known this person for a very long time. To say they inadvertently force me to look at and work through my inner shit is an understatement.

To try to explain this to others at length is futile. And I don’t for various reasons.

The bottom line is I care for this person very much. But no matter what they say or have said, I look to their actions as the truth.

Misunderstandings occur. The way we view issues and attempt to resolve them are different. They’ve changed. I’ve changed.

And no matter what I do or say, it feels like I end up feeling stupid having tried at all.

Thank you for reading.

8 Responses to Acceptance & Self-Preservation

1. Thoughts.
      April 5, 2014 at 4:31 am

Maybe your inner bullshit detector needs an update. There are always exceptions to the rule. Just saying…

2. author
      April 5, 2014 at 10:57 am

@thoughts -well an update usually includes new info to download. I got less and less. Or regression. Look at it like the latest Apple gadget trying to update into a Commodore 64.

3. What doctor
      April 5, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Who is the outside world? Do you know that this person has a professional diagnosis of a disability, or have you and the people you talk to conferred and decided what “disability” the person has?

It seems like everyone with a bachelor’s degree and an internet connection nowadays thinks themselves an MD/psychiatrist.

Especially if the diagnosis is ADD, ADHD, or Asperger’s, I hear people throwing around these terms constantly and they are almost always misused.

Just wondering b/c it is a personal pet peeve.

4. .
      April 6, 2014 at 10:27 am

“It gets confusing. Conflicted between acceptance of a person in their entirety, and not knowing if their actions are due to the disability or them being less than honorable in their actions.”

So you don’t trust them because you know yourself? But what tells you that they are exactly like you?

5. author
      April 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm

@. – you misunderstood what I wrote.

@what- diagnosed by a professional more than 20 years ago. Treated by a professional through middle school/high school. Took medication off and on since diagnosed. Not that I need to answer due to your nosey pet peeve…

6. .
      April 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm

“Misunderstandings occur.”

7. author
      April 7, 2014 at 1:31 pm

@., yes they do, however if I were to list here the actions; characteristics, the similarities are quite like another, more insidious “condition”. Get my drift?

8. .