I understand what you are trying to do for me, and I appreciate it beyond the expression of words. My old recruiter just seemed intent on shipping me out as soon as possible, but when you came in, you seemed genuinely concerned that I have the best future possible as an Airman.
I mean, not too long after you took over recruitment for this section, I talked to you on the phone and you were looking at my test scores then asked why in the world I was going to enter the military under the “General Career Field”, because they can almost literally place me in ANY job, including the crappiest jobs available, and that caught your attention because my scores were high enough to qualify for Intelligence or Linguistics — the best positions the Air Force can offer (and that is a really loooooonngg run on sentence haha). Honestly I was a little tired of waiting, it was the first option to pop up and my other recruiter was a bit pushy, so I gave in cause I just wanted out of here. But upon further reflection (and hindsight, after everyone I knew who had been through the AF kept commenting on how bad “General” could be), I decided it was stupid and impulsive.
And so you offered to look into seeing if I could switch: cancel my “General” shipping date and see if you can put me back onto the job search and wait for a Linguist or Intel job. You had to speak to your superior about it though, because ultimately it is his decision. And I’m cool with that, honestly. But I also hate all the “if’s” and “maybe’s” of this situation. People keep asking me “When are you leaving?” or “What’s your last day at work?” and such, and my only reply is “Well, MAYBE August 28th. MAYBE this Friday.” See how that can be frustrating? I like having solid answers.
You had spoken to your superior and then told me that you had to convince him to let me switch. The plan was then to send me in for a medical inspection, since I was subject to one because of my acne. If my acne was cleared up enough and I was qualified, I was gonna ship as scheduled under “General”. No real need to hold me back. If not, then logically it “may” not be cleared up by the time I ship, and so he would consider swapping me.
Well, I went to my inspection today. The doctor qualified me. So I called you just to confirm that I was shipping at the end of the month. I’d already told some of my friends the results and what they meant, based off of what you told me. I didn’t get a hold of you til this afternoon, but when I did, I did not get the confirmation I desired. Instead, you tell me that you’ll have to talk to your superior about it and still see if you can switch my AFSC regardless of the inspection results.
I was supposed to have my answer TODAY. Now I have to wait until Friday… I know it is not your fault, and I really appreciate you pushing for this because it is what I really want, but all the not knowing and the “maybe’s” are killing me. Friday is supposed to be my last scheduled day at work, but at this moment I only “might” be leaving behind my job and coworkers, many of whom I love working with. And now I’m not even going to find out if it will be my final day working there until after my shift is already over. Can you see how frustrating that is? I had told them I’d know by today, and if it was to be my last day, I’d say my good-bye’s (no matter how horrible I am at that). But now I have to tell them it only “might” be my last day, and that I am still unsure, and that I “might” not work with them again… Grrrrrrrr….. I really hate not having solid answers…
I apologize: I don’t mean to take it all out on you (and technically I’m not, since I don’t plan to send this letter), but I am just irritated right now. I am scheduled to leave in less than three weeks and the time is drawing closer every day to where I leave behind the life I’ve known for over 21 years and forge a new one of my own. But so close to that date, and I am still unsure if I’ll be leaving in three weeks or if I’ll be hanging around for a few more months.
But anyways, thank you for all you are doing for me, even if it irks me a bit. Glad to know at least you care about my future in the Air Force. I’ll look forward to speaking with you on Friday regarding my future.
~A frustrated Enjay