1. at 130lbs and 5’4″, size 2/4: I am not fat, pudgy, thick, overweight, chunky, or out of control. My butt is not too big, my clothes are not too tight, and I don’t need YOU telling me every morning I walk down the stairs “my those pants are looking a little tight on you these days” or now that I’m away at college “oh my, well you’ve put on some weight since the last time I saw you” while giving me a little slap on the butt.
2. Ending my sophomore collegiate year with a 3.4 average GPA: I am not stupid, an idiot, lazy, managing time poorly, slacking, or not studying enough.
3. I have friends: just because I don’t surround myself with 5 trillion people that I have to know in order to feel validated..I have friends. I have lots of friends, but my close ones are closer than the ones you’ll ever have.
4. I’m 20, no I don’t know everything but,…let go already, just let me learn to be an adult!
5. I will go to law school, but not to spite you, but instead to show you that I am smart, that I can do it, and I will be successful, regardless of the doubts you continue to put in my head.
6. Stop making my past public to the world. Yes, I was a difficult child but my parents divorced when I was 3. My biological mother died when I was 10, my sister disowned my family, what did you expect?
7. Yes, you adopted me: Stop holding it over my head that you so “graciously” adopted me from the hardships of my childhood. You did it because YOU wanted to, because YOU said you wanted me to be your child, the burdens of that shouldn’t be held over my head, don’t use that as a guilt trip.
8. My ex boyfriend is exactly that AN EX! stop bringing him up about my poor choice of a boyfriend in HIGH SCHOOL. Ps. If I could do it again I would, I don’t regret my past.
I guess all I have left to say is, stop pointing out what you think to be my faults.
I make mistakes, I’m 20 and far from perfect.
I’m not YOU, I am ME. We are not related.
I will never look like you,
think like you,
have the same intelligence as you, because that is biologically impossible since we are not biologically related.
But maybe, all the faults you find in me, are the faults you are too afraid to find in yourself. But instead of constantly putting me down, why don’t you go take a look in the mirror, and start there.