• My Abortion Story

by  • October 6, 2010 • Thoughts, To Everybody • 8 Comments

Dear Ladies,

A year ago, I had an abortion. I do not feel ashamed, devastated, torn apart, or full of guilt.

I got pregnant just about a month after breaking up with my boyfriend of 5 1/2 years. I had a drunken one night stand with a friend I had known for about 10 years. I started getting morning sickness about 2 1/2 weeks later.

The abortion itself was terrible. I was early on when I found out and opted for the medical abortion (the abortion pill). I figured it would be a more natural approach as it would be similar to having a miscarriage. For most people this is a great option but for me it was 12+ hours of hell. There was lots of vomiting, bleeding, diarrhea. I had waves of heat rushing through my body and cramps that kept me on the floor weeping for it to be over. I felt like I was on horrible drugs and couldn’t quite understand what was going on. I have since found out that this is very rare and most women simply cramp and bleed for a few hours and its over.

The only thing I regret is taking the pill. I should have gotten the surgical abortion. Other than that, I am so very happy to have had that option. I did not love the man I got pregnant with. He was not the right partner for me or father of my child. Just a few weeks after my abortion I met the man I am still with a year later. We talk of getting married and having kids of our own. The abortion allowed me to control my path. It gave me the chance to gain the life I saw for myself and my future family. A family that will be born of love, not mistakes.

8 Responses to My Abortion Story

1. HS
      October 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I don’t judge you. Why should I? It was your choice, and you seem to be doing fine with your choice. I have heard of some women who have had abortions and it tore their life apart. They suffered emotionally with their choice.
      But I hope you have a good life!

2. V
      October 6, 2010 at 3:52 pm

You are a strong, intelligent woman. I admire your decision and your courage. I wish you the best of luck with your new man.

3. srsly
      October 7, 2010 at 1:09 am

i’m sorry, but if you didn’t want the child you could have opted for adoption?!? i gave my son up to someone who could take care of him. that was a very selfish thing IMO. yes its your body, but that life you killed was its own. not you.

4. k.
      October 7, 2010 at 8:57 pm

its not a life until the fetis can live outside of the womb.
      i highly respect you.

5. srsly
      October 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm

it has a heart beat and can feel pain. and it has a soul! if you’ve never had children i do not expect you to understand. I’m not condemning her for her decision. I just don’t agree with it

6. katey
      October 8, 2010 at 6:21 am

I don’t judge you, hold your head up high against those who do. I wish you nothing but happiness with your new family, and I think you’re really strong.

7. HS
      October 8, 2010 at 6:28 am

I like what k said

8. Michelle
      October 8, 2010 at 6:46 am

I offer my support and am so happy you were allowed the opportunity to prevent a child from entering this earth that you had no intention of parenting (it makes me sad that in countries like Mexico, this empowerment of women has not yet been made legal). You made the right decision and shared your story which takes guts and bravery!

Unplanned children are not given the life they deserve as no preparations or discussion have gone into them. Children need mother’s and father’s who have systems in place to ensure their child grows up in a happy and healthy home. Unplanned pregnancies often lead to stressful single parent homes, or unhappy forced marriages that can hinder 3 lives.

Children can be made so easily (we are sexual creatures and sex is a great part of live) However, when mistakes happen, we must have the power to make the final say.

I’ve also had an abortion and it didn’t bother me at all emotionally (just the pain). I’m proudly not religious (I treat people with respect because I feel it is the right thing to do without the need for a “heaven” or “hell” to keep me in line), and I don’t view unborn babies as this “special” class of people. They are on the way to becoming their own person if we let them enter the world. A fetus cannot live without it’s mother, and therefore we are in charge of the best interests of the subject growing inside our bodies. Having a child and then giving it up for adoption (which some woman chose as the best option for their own mind), is not always the best option because women work and pregnancies are no walk in the park. I would never have a child just to give that child to someone else to raise, that’s a huge toll on my body and lifestyle (that clearly an abortion is allowing me to protect).

Keep up the good work by allowing yourself to be the sole person in control of your own body, and let us hope that as we move to the future, less debate will come of this subject.

Babies are born everyday, it’s not this rare miracle to save our race. This planet is overpopulated as it is (people are starving to death in certain areas), and there is no need add unwanted children to that mix.

Children coming to people who feel it is wonderful blessing, I’m very happy for them. However unplanned children can have lives that are full of sadness, as they are raised by bitter parents, who deep down resent how their creation has negatively impacted their life. Sparing these children being born is noble task, especially given some ignorant mindsets of people who don’t even believe in evolution.