• “Friends”

by  • September 10, 2010 • Friends, Love - Pure and Simple, Yearning for You • 21 Comments

I don’t think you understand how much it hurts.

Every time someone says “Are you two dating?” and I have laugh and reply “Oh no, we’re just friends.”

Every time I hear that song we always sing on the radio.

Every time you lean towards me, but it’s nothing.

Every time we hug goodbye, and I wish I could hold on forever.

I love being friends with you, but it’s killing me.

And you don’t even know.

21 Responses to “Friends”

1. S
      September 11, 2010 at 7:49 am

I know exactly how you feel :/

2. Yukki
      September 11, 2010 at 8:12 am

🙁 Sadly what you are saying and doing happens to people all the time. At least you actually express it unlike others

3. Stiffy
      September 11, 2010 at 8:34 am

I used to be in this position- then one night we hooked up and admitted that we were in love…..we’ve been together since

4. Shade ilmaendu
      September 11, 2010 at 8:36 am

Sadly, it happens… Its never fun, but you csnt make someone love you. It wad a hard lesson to learn.. You expressed the feelings in such a situation wonderfully..

5. Squeeee
      September 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

I’m going to spend the rest of my life with my best friend because I told him I loved him. I had a terrible breakup (end of a marriage) and I had thought if I died tomorrow what would I regret? And I realized, I would have regret never having tried things with him. Even if things ultimately don’t work out, I’m still THRILLED, because I have never felt this way about anyone before. It’s so amazing.

We were friends for about 6 years, and best friends the last half of that at least.

I’m moving in with him at the end of the month. 🙂

6. Arntie
      September 12, 2010 at 7:26 am

For all of us who can’t (or are too afraid to), tell them how you feel. I feel like I could have written this exact same letter, as I’m sure hundreds of thousands of other could have as well.

7. Megan
      September 14, 2010 at 8:12 am

I’m in the exact same situation right now. My heart aches all the time. I live on this website under the “Yearning For You” section. It’s quite pathetic, really. I’m in love with my best friend of 9 years and I can’t even tell him.

8. Ishtiaq
      September 21, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Long ago I inadvertently did the same thing to a person. I was very young at that time and did not know much about life and people. Maybe we should share this more so that people know about it and can do the right thing.

9. Jennifer
      October 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Unless they are currently in a relationship or have in some way made it VERY clear they don’t feel the same, as terrifying as it is, I recommend putting yourself out there. If they truly are that good of a friend, it shouldn’t damage the relationship if they don’t feel the same. The first time I had EVER built up the courage to tell someone how I felt, he was flattered, but didn’t feel the same. I was devastated, but we remained friends. It turned out he was going through a rough time with family issues and didn’t have his head in the right place and about six months later, we started dating. The second anniversary of our marriage is at the end of this month. It was the scariest thing I ever did, and I got my heart broken…. but at the same time, it was well worth it.

10. That Guy Who's Always Right
      October 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Suck it up, pancho. She’s never going to touch you there. Lose some weight and put a profile up on adultfriendfinder.com, and just get over her.

11. peepinfreak
      December 2, 2010 at 7:56 am

trust me when I say that I have been through the same. but if you are aways there for that pesone. They will come around.

12. Stephanie
      December 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

I felt this way for four years. The worst was whenever he leaned in front of me to show me something on the computer… he smelled so good… I was in another relationship, pretending I was happy, until I kissed him suddenly during a movie. Turns out he felt the same way too, the whole time 🙂

13. killer
      December 2, 2010 at 11:37 am

always tell people how you feel, its scary, but the pain of never finding out will haunt you forever. i was in love with my friend josh. he was a beautiful person. he loved me too, but i was afraid to tell him how i felt. i chose some one else, i told josh i didnt want to be with him. 2 months later, josh commited suicide. im not saying he did it because of me, but i cant help but to wonder if i could havehelped him had i had the courage to tell him how i truly felt. i married the man i chose over josh, and now im stuck in a loveless marriage that wasnt right for me. it hurts me every single day to wonder how differently my life would have gone had i had the courage to tell him how i truly felt.

14. January 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Even though you are scared of being rejected, it’s better to tell that person how you feel than spend your entire life waiting for something to happen. Have courage! You are amazing!

15. woeisme
      January 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I know from experience, being secretly in love with your best friend is better than not being friends. I had the biggest crush on my best friend for like 9 or 10 years, one night we finally hooked up and it completely ruined our friendship. Be happy with the relationships you have. If you’re really meant to be together it will happen, but don’t push it. Don’t be depressed about it either because there are so many other people out there you could be happy with. Plus, it’s good to have a best friend of the opposite sex, there are some things you can share with them that you would never share with a same-sex best friend.

16. Alice
      January 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm

You literally have no idea now much I understand this. Me and my best friend are like this and it’s killing me.

17. Jessy and ambuh
      January 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Randy get off the Internet

18. Annonymous
      January 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ahhhh, exactly me last year..we hung out all the time and had so much fun together. One on my teachers/coach was even like “so when is he gonna ask you out?” I never told him how I felt..he’s with one of my close friends now. Sadly I’m not over it..and it makes me feel like a bad friend cause to me it kinda sucks seeing them together all the time.

19. Hannah!
      July 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I know exactly how you feel! Everything you described in your letter describes my situation as well. All I can say is I wish you the best and I hope someday you’ll find out that they feel the same way you do. (:

20. Joe
      July 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Dang, I LIVE this situation right now. So hard to deal with but at least my bestfriend is in my life right? Good job writing this.

21. Alex
      July 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm

It’s the worst feeling isn’t it? I lived this whole “hidden feelings” scenario for four years until we finally got together after drunkenly confessing our inner emotions.
      Friendships create the strongest emotions, and when you combine that with Romanticism, you’re in for an intense relationship like none other.
      Yet with all intense highs, come the painstaking lows that come after the split.
      I’m not saying it’s not worth it, but be prepared for whats ahead if you choose to go down the road of confession.
      Be ready to feel something you’ve never felt before. Good luck to all you brave souls!